tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 10 08:45:05 2000

RE: Dictionary

jenwI' wrote:
: I started work on my Dictionary on Saturday... By Sunday I had put in the
: 500 or so "extra words", and by last night I was half-way through TKD. And
: my vocabulary has increased so much!

Although it looks daunting at first - keyboarding all the glossaries from TKD,
the TKD Addendum, KGT and charghwI's New Words List at kli.org (which also
gives a few words that were inadvertantly listed in only one side of the TKD
glossary) - once you get started, you'll find it goes pretty quickly.

Hint:  It helps to use a *bold* font when inputting the Klingon text to make it
stand out from the English and easier to read, as Okrand does in TKD and KGT.

Another hint:  Start with the Klingon-English vocabularies.  You can use your
word processor's Search feature to look up any English word you're interested
in.  You can then go back and input the English-Klingon glossaries in a
separate file - if you still want to.  Many people have spent a lot of time
creating and tweeking complicated databases with several data fields and
automated sorting or alphabetizing sequences, but I've found that a simple word
processing document (I use MS-Word) listing just Klingon-English vocabulary
works well for me.  As I said, using your Search feature eliminates the need
for a separate English-Klingon listing when using your personal dictionary
online, thereby halving the file size.  (You'll still need an English-Klingon
listing if you want to print your personal dictionary, however, which is
something I've never bothered to do.)

Qapla'!

--
Voragh