tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 09 18:15:47 2000

The song heard in "Barge of the Dead" (was Re: Klingon Opera)

ja' De'vID:
>(I found this while trying to figure out the song sung in Barge...
>I guess no one else knows, either.)

An excerpt from Voragh's Notes on Klingon Writing and Literature:
>...Legend has it
>that Kahless fought the tyrant Molor, whom he killed with the first
>bat'leth, or "sword of honor" (Rightful Heir, First Born) on the banks of
>the River Skral. This event has been commemorated in song:
>	Ej im-ta fey de-ja I...
>	Ejadahk-so-tas ghoS va Skral byteek
>	  Empa jaj law-moch jaj-push
>	Jaj Kayless Molor-mIgh Hohk-chew koo!
>In English, this is (from "The Way of the Warrior" novel):
>        And the blood was ankle deep...
>        And the River Skral ran crimson red
>          On the day above all days
>        When Kahless slew evil Molor dead!

There are some nearly recognizable tlhIngan Hol words in there, like
"byteek" {bIQtIq} and "Hohk-chew koo" {HoHchu'qu'}.  It also looks as
if there were some attempts at reasonable grammar, but the piece as a
whole is not in what we recognize as the Emperor's Klingon.

The song was first heard in DS9's "Way of the Warrior", with Worf and
an old family friend Huraga singing it in a completely unintelligible
accent over much drink.  Voyager's EMH did a fantastic job of copying
the sounds of that song in "Barge of the Dead", and "translated" the
first two lines in the bargain.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level