tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 05 18:10:06 2000

RE: KLBC: a friend whose name is.....

jatlh jeyD:

> tlhIngan Hol ghoj 'e' nID jIH jupwI' je.

maj. 'ach <wIghoj>, <wInID> je Dalo'nIS.

> tlhIngan Hol wIghojchoH 'e' vIQaHmeH lutmey vIghItlhlI'.

Since <ghoj> is usually an ongoing process, <ghojchoH> would probably be
interpreted as *beginning* that process. If that is what you mean here, then
it's fine. Otherwise, you probably want just <ghoj>.

I don't think that you can use <QaH> in this way. You were trying to say "In
order to help us learn Klingon", but the Klingon <'e'> doesn't quite work
for this sort of thing. You could say <tlhIngan Hol wIghojmeH Qu' vIQaHmeH
...>. You could also simplify the sentence and drop the <QaH> altogether:

tlhIngan Hol wIghojmeH lutmey vIghItlhlI'.

> maghompu'bogh  wanI'mey QIj lutmeyvam.

I assume <maghompu'bogh wanI'mey> is supposed to mean "things we have
encountered" or something similar. If not, then please explain what you
meant.

<ghom> is probably not the right word to use with events. <ghom> works well
for people meeting each other, or things grouping together, but for
experiences, I think a verb like <SIQ> works much better. Also, <wanI'mey>
needs to be the object of that verb:

wanI'mey wISIQpu'bogh QIj lutmeyvam.

You might also want to consider <Del> rather than <QIj> here. It really
depends on the stories.

> lutmeyvam laDbogh nuvvaD jIH jupwI' je
> vIlIHlI' 'ach chay' vISovbe'.

The object of <lIH> is <jIH, jupwI' je>, which throws the Klingon verb
prefix system into a tizzy. The subject is "I", and the object is "myself
and my friend". Klingon has a way to make the object "myself", and it has a
way to make the object "my friend", but it can't do both at the same time.
You could either say "We introduce ourselves" or "I introduce myself and I
introduce my friend". Here is what the Klingon might be:

... nuvvaD malIH'egh ...
... nuvvaD jupwI' vIlIH 'ej jIjIH'egh ...

I also think you want to add a <vIneH> (or maybe <wIneH>) after the verb
here - you want to introduce yourselves, but don't know how.

Also, the <'ach chay' vISovbe'> doesn't work. In Klingon, anything with
<chay'> in it is a question, so this is "How do I not know it?". If instead
you want to say "but I don't know how (to do it)", you have to recast it a
bit. You have to say something like "but I don't know a process (for doing
it)".

lutmeyvam laDbogh nuvvaD malIH'egh wIneH, 'ach mIw vISovbe'.

> <toq had a very good friend whose name is jeyD> vIjatlh vIneH.
> chay' mu'tlheghvam vIjatlh?
>
> jIghItlh 'e' vInID:
> jeyD 'oHbogh pongDaj'e' jup QaQqu' ghajpu' toq

For "good friend" or "very good friend", use <jupna'>. <jup QaQ> means "a
good friend" in the sense of a friend who is good, not a close friend.
Another problem is "had a friend". In Klingon, you can clearly have a weapon
or a house or a shoe, but I'm not sure you can have a friend or an uncle or
a teacher. It's probably best to restrict <ghaj> to things that you can
"posses".

I would probably say the following for this:

jeyD ghaH toq jupna''e' - jeyD is/was toq's close friend

> lughHa'law' mu'tlheghvam 'e' vIQub.

mu'tlheghlIj vIyaj, 'ach lughbe' pab. qay'be'.

A little style comment: the <-law'> means pretty much the same thing as "I
think" in many an English sentences, so the <'e' vIQub> is redundant.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ