tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 05 10:29:20 2000

Re: KLBC : A somewhat advanced translation...

juDmoS wrote:
: 'ejyo' qIjDaq, Hegh 'oHbe'bogh Hegh tu'lu'  [snip]
: "In the Black Fleet, there is death that is not death  [snip]
:
: How did I do ??

I'll let BG pagh discuss the grammar, but I couldn't resist commenting on an
amusing (small) vocabulary error.  {'ejyo' qIj} means "The Black Starfleet"!
Just use {yo' qIj} "Black Fleet", as Okrand did in the anthem {Qoy qeylIS
puqloD}:

  batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv. pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
  Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where
   we battle forever.

It's a compelling image, though:  warriors dreaming of the honorable Klingon
Defence Forces battling the nefarious Starfleet forever in the afterlife!  As
Cdr. Kor remarked to Kirk in "Errand of Mercy" on the aborted
Klingon-Federation war, "It would have been glorious!"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level