tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 04 11:26:50 2000

Re: Stovocor?

Based on the discussions Sto-Vo-Kor I would think is more the Valhalla in
ancient Norse mythology and {QI'tu'}, as it was mentioned by Voragh in an
earlier post, as like Eden. The barge in VOY "Barge of the Dead" that take
dishonored tlhIngan to Gre'thor is very much like the Greek mythology to a
point, but it mixes the boat/barge (can't recall the oarsman's name
offhand) that takes souls across the river Styx, with Hell.

On this subject is there any printed reference material for {tlhIngan qun}
and mythology?

Qor

At 01:05 PM 1/4/00 -0600, you wrote:
>[email protected] wrote:
> > Sto-Vo-Kor
>
>Mark A Miles:
>: Can't be... There is no K in tlhIngan-Hol. and I can't find any traces of
>: the phoneme <Sto>.
>
>But there is in English, the language spoken by the writers and actors!
>
>Seriously, don't ever assume that the "Klingon" - {Paramount Hol} or {par Hol}
>as it is sometimes called on this list - bears any relation to Okrand's
>{tlhIngan Hol}, except by accident.  The writers do have a copy of TKD, of
>course, and they will sometimes look up words in the glossary, but they won't
>bother to learn Klingon grammar and will just plug those words into English
>word order.  Most don't even do that much, but just make up words that sound
>Klingon--at least to them.
>
>Okrand tries to back-fit some of these coinings into his language,
>transcribing
>them into his system and explaining them as {no' Hol} "ancestors'
>language"--i.e. survivals from earlier Klingon languages used in
>ceremonies and
>rituals.  Much like isolated words or even whole expressions of Hebrew, Greek,
>Latin, French, German, Yiddish, etc. are still heard in 20th century English,
>though the pronunciation may have been anglicized beyond recognition.  For
>those interested, there are a few of these in _Klingon for the Galactic
>Traveller_.
>
>If you want to play the game, imagine the place name Sto-Vo-Kor (as it's
>spelled in the script, captions and in the ST Encyclopedia) as a {no' Hol}
>survival in "modern" 24th century Klingon in the same way that Gan-Eden,
>Heaven, the Kingdom of Heaven, the Afterlife, etc. are all variant names - not
>entirely identical in details - for the Judeo-Christo-Islamic "Paradise",
>itself ironically a borrowing into Greek (and then into Latin and then
>English)
>from pre-Islamic Persian where it had no supernatural connotations.  Since the
>actors pronounce it /STO-vo-kor/, stressing the first syllable one
>transcription, based on how Okrand has rendered other Paramount words in the
>past, is *{SIto'voqor}.  YMMV.
>
>Officially, we'll have to wait for Maltz.
>

>--
>Voragh
>Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Qor