tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 03 20:52:57 2000

Re: Stovocor?

De'vID wrote:

: What's the difference between "Stovocor" (not sure about the spelling)
: and <QI'tu'>?  What is the canonical <tlhIngan Hol> spelling of
: "Stovocor"?

Here's what I can remember off the top of my head...

It's usually spelled Sto-Vo-Kor in the closed captions and is the
mythological place of the afterlife for the honored Klingon dead.  (As we
recently saw in VOY "Barge of the Dead", the dishonored dead go to Gre'thor
- {ghe'tor} or {ghe''or} - which is guarded by {veqlargh} Fek'lhr.)  AFAIK,
Okrand has never given us a canonical tlhIngan Hol spelling for Sto-Vo-Kor.

When Kahless left his followers on {Qo'noS} in what on Earth was the 9th
century AD, he pointed to a bright star in the Klingon sky in the
constellation {ghochwI'} ("The Tracker") and said he would be waiting for
them in Sto-Vo-Kor until his eventual return.  When the Klingons eventually
moved out into space, they established a monastery on the planet Boreth,
which orbited that star, tended by the Guardians of Boreth who waited for
Kahless.  (Cf. TNG "Rightful Heir", _The Star Trek Encyclopedia_ [STE] and
KCD.)

{QI'tu'} is the Klingon Paradise or Eden.  According to Sybok (ST5), it is
the source of all creation in Klingon mythology.  It's the equivalent of
the Vulcan Sha-Ka-Ree and Romulan Vorta-Vor.  It shows up in two Klingon
similes:

  QI'tu' rur
  old as Qui'Tu  KGT

  qan; QI'tu' rur
  He/she is as old as Qui'Tu. KGT

How {qa'vam}, the Klingon name for planet Genesis, fits into this mythology
is anyone's guess.

{yo' qIj}, the "Black Fleet", may be another Klingon afterlife.  It may be
located someplace in Sto-Vo-Kor (?) and may be from another tradition
originally.  (The term was originally coined by John Ford in _The Final
Reflection_, although he never told us the *klingonaase* name.)  In KCD,
after the Romulan hunter-killer probe kills Torghn, young Pok and company
perform the {Heghtay}.  Qua'lon then says, "May you find honor with the
Black Fleet, brother."  It is referred to in the well-known Klingon anthem,
{Qoy qeylIS puqloD}:

  batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv. pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
  Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where
   we battle forever.

Okrand wrote, "In Klingon mythology, the Black Fleet is a band consisting
of warriors who have died bravely and honorably and, in a sort of
afterlife, carry on glorious battles forever." (Cf. KGT p.189.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level