tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 01 23:29:16 2000

Re: KLBC: a cup of tea vs. a tea cup

ja' De'vID:
>How do I distinguish between saying a "tea cup" and a "cup of tea"
>(not quite the same thing)?  <Dargh HIvje'> refers to the cup (KGT 96).
>But what if I want to refer to the tea?  That is, I have a cup of tea,
>it is a *cup* of tea that I have and not, say, a bottle of tea.

If you're concerned about the container making the difference between
two different types of tea,  {HIvje' Dargh} "cup tea" and {bal Dargh}
"bottle tea" might work.

If you're talking about the quantity of tea, there's no established
way to talk about a "cupful".  You can use the verb {muq} "have a
volume of" and count {tlhoren} (approximately a quart or liter).  Or
you can specify that you're talking about tea which is contained by
a cup as pagh suggested:  {Dargh'e' ngaSbogh HIvje' vIghaj}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level