tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 25 07:48:16 2000

Re: KLIC - qaStaH'a'

voragh,

KLICvaD QIn Dalabchugh KLIC chutmey DapabnIS. Hoch
mu'tlhegh DamughnIS.

= If you are going to send a message to KLIC, you need to
follow the KLIC rules. You must translate each sentence.

DaH DIvI' Hol QInlIj DamughnIS.

= Now, you must translate your Fed Standard message.

charghwI'

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:33:01 -0600 Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Qov:
> >> charghwI', charwI', chaghwI'.
> > Um, that bit's untranslatable unless I say "Will, swill, nil."
>
> As usual, Qov skills are impressive.  Although she used one syllable
> English words and thus changed the meter/rhythm, she managed to retain the
> rhyme with charghwI's English name:  Will.
>
> DujHoD:
> : On the contrary, it's quite translatable. It means, "Conqueror, slimy
> : one, dropper."
>
> Not quite.  You've failed to render the alliteration, rhyme, meter, style
> and level of discourse of the original.  A good translation - especially of
> verse - consists of more than mere grammar and lexical meaning.  That's the
> easy part.  The real art of translation is in rendering the rest.
>
> But that gets us into translation theory, which is a whole other {qagh
> ngaSwI'}.
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons