tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 24 12:55:37 2000

Re: KLIC - qaStaH'a'

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:11:44 -0800 (PST) Robyn Stewart
<[email protected]> wrote:
> jatlh charghwI'
>
> >On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:58:49 -0800 (PST) Robyn Stewart
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >> valmo' chaH 'ej ghaqDI' reH Daj, KLIC vItIv'eghrupmoH.
> >
> > That is one of the most interesting combinations of
> > suffixes I've seen in quite some time. Unless my memory is
> > once again failing me, the only time I've seen Okrand
> > combine {-'egh} and {-moH} were with stative verbs like
> > {jI'IH'eghmoH}, and following the usual rules for {-'egh},
> > the prefix implies no direct object. Or was it an
> > imperative, like {yItuj'eghmoH}? Toss in the ditransitive
> > issue and this gets really spicy. Or messy, depending on
> > your perspective.
>
> charghwI', charwI', chaghwI'.  chut tIpab.  KLICvaD cha'logh Hoch
> DaqonnIS. wa'logh tlhIngan Hol yIlo'.  wa'logh DI'vI' Hol yIlo'.  chut
> Dapabqangbe'chugh vaj KLIC yIteq.  nap, qar'a'?
>
> =Um, that bit's untranslatable unless I say "Will, swill, nil."  Follow
> the rules.  For the purpose of KLIC you have to write everything twice,
> once in English and once in Klingon.  If you're not willing to follow
> the rule, then take off the KLIC.  Simple, no?

chotIchnISbe'. jIHvaD wa' pong neH Dalo' 'e' vImaS. not
jIHvaD chutvam QIjlu'. jIpabqang.

=You don't need to insult me. I prefer that you use only
one name for me. This rule was never explained to me. I'm
willing to follow it.

> >Meanwhile, I think I would have just said, {KLIC
> >vItIvrupchoH.} We cause ourselves to do everything that we
> >do. That's what free will is all about, and Klingons
> >especially understand the concept of responsibility for
> >one's choices.
>
> jIQochbe'.  DuHbogh mojaqmey ngengtaHmo' wa' jeSwI', jIreH.  jIlujlaw'.
>
> =I agree.  As one of the participants was experimenting with possible
> suffixes, I played.  I seem to have failed.

qay'be.

=Nolo problemo.

> >> jIjeSbej jIH.  'ach SaghuHnISmoH.  rut mu'meywIj vImughchu'be'.
> >>
> >> = The picture of the ship in which he fled is on the glass table.

> >bIHIgh, jupwI'.
> >
> > Haw'meH Duj'e' lo'pu'bogh Qov 'oS bey'. Doqbe' raS 'ej
> > SuDbe'. bIQ watlh rur. raSvamDaq bey'vetlh tu'lu'.
>
> jIHaw'be' jIH!
>
> = My hovercraft is full of eels.

qoH vuvbe' SuS.

= Eels dance by the light of two moons.