tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 04:53:13 2000

Re: Question words

It's always fun to watch two respected grammarians arguing. However, the
large paragraphs of text would be better served if both Mark and Will were
to provide clear cut examples of what they're talking about.

In Mark's case, I'd like to see some example sentences in both Klingon and
English, illustrating what he's calling "indirect questions" (i.e., the
"not not allowed" usage).

In Will's case, I'd like to see some examples sentences in both English and
(by his view) ungrammatical Klingon of the misuse of question words as
"relative pronouns."

Discussions of theory are all well and good, but since both camps are
concerned about the wrong message going out, particularly to beginner and
intermediate speakers, some clear cut illustrations of the issues would be
of more help.

And too, I'll be better able to lift this thread for inclusion in a
RoundTable somewhere down the line. :)

Lawrence

Back to archive top level