tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 22 21:22:46 2000

Re: ghargh ngaSwI'

In a message dated 2/21/2000 5:46:25 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< You can orbit a planet.

 You can go around a planet.

 You can't go a planet.

 You can orbit in a spaceship.

Similarly, I would not claim that a Klingon verb which does include a
prepositional concept could be translated into English with just any
preposition.  Although I can "go the planet" using <<ghoS,>> I would not say
that I can "go around the planet" using <<ghoS.>>  I would have to find a
different Klingon verb, one which translates differently into English and/or
Irish.  <<juS>> might work for "go by the planet."  <<bav>> should work for
"go around the planet," but only if we are talking about "orbiting" it.  Is
there a Klingon verb which means "go around the planet" other than specifying
"orbiting the planet?"  What verb would I use to say "I go around the planet
on the ground, by car, for example."?  I might use <<jaH>> or <<mej>> or
<<tlheD>> to say "go from the planet."  OTOH, when I have seen <<jaH>> mean
"go from,"  I have always seen the noun suffix -vo', for example, <<yuQvo'
jaH.>>

Some of the entries in the dictionary COULD be translated differently from
the simple gloss.  I have seen some discussion saying that this is dangerous,
that we should learn just the meaning written in the dictionary.

Mr. Okrand himself shows that <<ghoS>> means more than "approach."
Obviously, "approach" can take a direct object.  When we translate <<ghoS>>
as "go," we THINK we have to say "go to," "go toward."  The simple "go the
planet" does not sound right to English-speakers.  When we translate <<He
ghoS,>> we say "proceed along a course.>>  Leaving out "along" does not sound
right to us.

Oh well, it is late.  And my major is Art, not Linguistics.

Xardana

Back to archive top level