tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 22 05:59:15 2000

Question words

I don't mean to re-open this discussion, since there is NOTHING NEW to be
added to it, but I've seen a point made and even agreed to, which is not
the case.

Okrand HAS NOT SAID that question words cannot be used for indirect
questions in Klingon.  That they cannot is NOT an accepted fact in Klingon.
Indeed, several noted Klingonists (me and Krankor, at least) accept that
they CAN.  I just spoke to Okrand a few weeks ago and mentioned that people
were again saying he'd forbidden it, and he said he definitely hadn't.  He
said someone had asked him about it, and he gave his usual evasive
answer... and then saw it quoted as saying they were forbidden.  I know
we've been through this before, and we talked about what Okrand said and
what he meant when it first came out (i.e. the news that he did not mean to
forbid them is NOT new).  Don't propogate the error about what's known:
Okrand is still deep in weasel-territory on this, giving himself room to
back out.  So don't beat yourself up, Nick.

~mark

Back to archive top level