tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 21 10:13:28 2000

RE: DawI' (What is a SNES emulator answer)

jalth veS joH:

> jIyaj SNES je "emulator".

Noun conjunctions like <je> go after the nouns, so this has to be <SNES
"emulator" je>. Also, Klingon sentences go object-verb-subject, so <SNES
"emulator" je>, which is the object, has to go before the verb. Finally, the
verb prefix should be <vI-> to indicate a third person object:

SNES "emulator" je vIyaj.

> 'ach jIyajbe' qatlh.

Unlike English, the Klingon word <qatlh> can *only* be used for asking a
question. I don't really understand what you're trying to say in this
sentence. What do you not understand?

In general, if you are saying "I don't understand why", you probably mean
something like "I don't understand the reason (for whatever)". This can be
translated as <meq vIyajbe'>.

> tlhIngan Hol mu' mughbe' "emulator".
> mu' 'oH tera'ngan.

This is literally "The terran is a word". I think you were trying to say
"The word is terran", but the "terran" here is really an adjective, and the
whole "to be" thing using pronouns in Klingon (see TKD 6.3) only works with
nouns. You can't, therefore, say something "is terran"; you can only say
that something "is *a* terran". So you have to say something like "It is a
terran word" or "The word is a terran word", and you can do that:

tera'ngan mu' 'oH.
tera'ngan mu' 'oH mu''e'.

> KLBC- i understand SNES and "emulator".  But I don't understand why.
> "Emulator" doesn't translate to a Klingon word.  It's a terran word.

I don't really understand what your objection is. <tlhuHlaHbe'wI'> is a
Klingon word, and it doesn't translate into a single English word. It means
"one who is unable to breathe".  This doesn't mean we don't ever have need
to talk about such people or use the Heimlich maneuver.

An "emulator" is a gadget or software program that emulates - behaves in the
same way as - another gadget or software program. Why should we not discuss
such things while speaking Klingon? It seems extremely likely that Klingon
technology has created such things. It also seems likely that they would be
called <DawI'mey>.

The SNES, on the other hand, is most definitely a 20th century Earth gadget.
We can certainly talk about such a gadget in Klingon, but there will
certainly not be a word for it. Instead, we just name the thing, and maybe
explain what it is.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ