tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 19 21:35:04 2000

qepHommey - peSap! (quarterly call for volunteers)

Most of you have seen one of these messages before.  Please don't
ignore it this time.  Consider it a serious request.  Some of you
have promised to host a qepHom "sometime soon" -- now is the time
to make good on your promise.  Some of you have asked how to find
others who speak Klingon -- here is your chance to help them find
you.  Of course, the recent publication of _The Klingon Hamlet_ by
Pocket Books offers a great opportunity to grab some publicity in
the local media, too.

***

yIqIm!  yIbuS!  To each of you and all of you,  peqIm!  pebuS!

We speakers of the Klingon language are an active and dynamic group,
and it's up to all of us to keep up the energy.  There are people "out
there" who are as excited about tlhIngan Hol as you are but do not yet
realize that there are others with whom they can share their passion.
Find them!  There are people who do not yet know that they will love
this language if only they get a taste of it.  Reach them!  There are
even those who are deeply into Star Trek and who consider knowing how
to speak Klingon a useful skill.  Seek them as well.

Remember:  mataHmeH maSachnIS -- to survive, we must expand.

If you are willing to host a {qepHom} sometime this year, there is an
honored spot in the upcoming issue of _HolQeD_ for you.  The task is
not difficult.  Remember that these are "minor meetings" -- they are
not supposed to be big productions.  The flyers that the KLI can
provide call them "informal gatherings of Klingon enthusiasts."

There have been qepHommey held in restaurants, bookstores, college
classrooms, and even people's homes.  Your job as a qepHom host is
simply to set up and advertise the event, then to discuss with the
people who show up the reasons you enjoy speaking this language.  Tell
them a little about the history of the language and where it's going.
Have a collection of reference books and _HolQeD_s out for people to
look through.  Maybe listen as a group to _Conversational Klingon_.
Practice the correct pronunciation of such useful Klingon phrases as
{nuqDaq yuch Dapol} and {reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'}.  Show off your
treasured hardbound copy of _Hamlet: the Restored Klingon Version_.
You *do* have a copy, don't you?  And tempt the attendees with the
knowledge that the paperback edition should be published soon.

I've put a document on the World Wide Web for prospective qepHom hosts
to read.  Browse http://www.netusa1.net/~caanders/host-qephom.html and
see how simple it can be to do some Klingon language outreach.

So pick a time and place and let me know in the next week or two.  I
will need to get your information before the first weekend of March to
be sure it will be included in the next issue of _HolQeD_.  All we
need right now is a date, a city, and a name with a phone number to
contact for more information.  As the time gets closer, I can help
with promotional material and information to distribute before and
during the event.  Please don't respond on the list, but send your
answer directly to me at <mailto:[email protected]>.

--
  Alan Anderson, professional programmer and amateur Klingonist
      qepHom Coordinator for the Klingon Language Institute

Back to archive top level