tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 18 11:56:12 2000

Re: Klingon WOTD: SIv (v)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:29:36 -0500 "James R. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> In which newspost was this use of SIv?  Could you copy it in here?
>
> T'Lod

SIv:

startrek.klingon newsgroup (July 1997):

"All four words asked about ({tul} 'hope', {Qub} 'think',
{Sov} 'know', and {SIv} 'wonder') can be used in the
construction {S 'e' V}, where S is a sentence, {'e'} is the
pronoun ('that') which refers to a previous topic (in this
case S), and V is one of the verbs listed above (as well as
some others). If the sentence (S) is {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh}
'you speak Klingon', it's OK to say ... {tlhIngan Hol
Dajatlh 'e' vISIv} 'I wonder if you speak Klingon'. (The
fourth example is weird from an English translation point
of view, but it falls right in line in Klingon. If the
English translation matched the pattern of the other three
sentences, it would be 'I wonder that you speak Klingon'.
In English, this means something like 'I'm surprised that
you speak Klingon' or 'I don't understand how it can be
that you speak Klingon', but this is not what the Klingon
sentence means. The Klingon sentence means something more
like 'I am curious about whether you speak Klingon'. The
clumsiness here is the English, not the Klingon.)"

charghwI'

Back to archive top level