tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 15 18:26:20 2000

Re: DawI'

jIja'pu':
>It works for me, though I'd probably say {DawI'jan} in there to make sure
>I was being explicit about it being a device and not a person.

ja' SuStel:
>Why would /DawI'/ without /jan/ mean a person?

It wouldn't necessarily mean that, but I was talking about being
*explicit* as opposed to being ambiguous.  {DawI'} has the potential
to mean either a ghot or a Doch.  If I'm not feeling especially lazy
or playful, I usually try to limit the ambiguity of what I say.

>> Better, I think, would be SNES-Hey. :-)
>
>That would imply you're pretty sure it's an SNES, but not entirely positive.
>In fact, you're quite sure it's NOT an SNES, it's an SNES EMULATOR.  /SNES
>DawI'/ happens to cover this meaning very well.  /SNES-Hey/ doesn't work.

Since I don't know what SNES means, if I saw something that called
itself one in the context of emulators, I'd absolutely say SNES-Hey.
How am I to know whether it's an emulator or not if I don't know a
SNES from a qIvon?

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level