tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 15 11:02:23 2000

Re: Time concepts/Chang's new lines

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:25:28 -0500 (EST)
[email protected] wrote:

> jIjatlh:
> > > Here are two instances of what I mean.  Here is a sentence that I wanted
> > > to translate for my girlfriend:
> > > "Cherish your yesterdays; dream your tomorrows; but live your todays."
>
> jangchu' charghwI':
> > wa'Hu'meylIj tItIvchu'; wa'leSmeylIj tInab; 'ach
> > DaHjajmeylIj tIchu'.
>
> That <tIchu'> is throwing me.  Did you mean <tI(something, i.e. jeS)chu'>, or
> did you mean <chu'> as in "activate a device"?

I did mean {chu'} as in "engage, to activate a device". The
license plate on my car says "ENGAGE". Besides being what
Picard says just before they kick into Warp 6, which pretty
well describes the way I drive, it also reflects my
attitude towards life. I engage it. I engage today.

Perhaps you prefer another verb. qay'be'. latlh yIlo'.
qamevmoHQo'.

> > Better yet:
> >
> > wa'Hu'meylIj DavuvmeH yIqaw; wa'leSmeylIj DavuvmeH yInab;
> > 'ach DaHjajmeylIj DavuvmeH yIjeSchu'.
>
> Grammar question:
> What is the object of <yIqaw>, <yInab>, and <yIjeSchu'>?  Is it the
> previous sentence, no object, or the "days"?  I think it should
> be <tI-> as above and can't see why you used <yI->.

HIvqa' veqlargh! You are perfectly correct. I don't use
{tI-} often enough to remember it well.

> qatlho', charghwI'.  jIHvaD "time concepts" DaQIjchu'.

reH jInIDtaH.

> --
> De'vID

> Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
> Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
> the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level