tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 13 09:17:03 2000

KWOTD Survey

Quesion: Should KWOTD include proper names?
Saghel: pongmey ngaSnIS'a' DaHjaj mu'?

I've been asked more than once by more than one person about my policy of
including proper names in the KWOTD.  My feeling when I compiled the list
was that I did not want to exclude any words, even uncommon ones.  If
someone could legitimately encounter a Klingon word somewhere, I'd want it
on my list.  I also didn't want to put myself in the position of having to
decide which words were useful to include.  Clearly some proper names are
useful to include ({ghawran}), but others may not be ({'atrom}), so it's a
judgement call.  My judgement may not reflect someone else's idea of what's
useful to include.  So I included everything I had, with the understanding
that some days' words would be less useful than others, but that the list
would be complete.

I've received enough comments, though, on this policy, that perhaps I should
reconsider.  I made a decision to start the KWOTD (since I had the resources
and interest to do it), but the purpose of this is to benefit the
recipients, not myself.  And so I would now like to solicit the opinions of
the community of Klingonists who receive KWOTD, about the usefulness of
including such proper names.  If you have an opinion on whether or not I
should include them, please write to me and let me know, at
<[email protected]>.  (If you're reading this on the tlhIngan-Hol
mailing list, don't reply to the list please.)

Thanks much, and my apologies for the off-topic post.

-- Holtej 'utlh

tlhIngan Hol mailing list FAQ