tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 07 20:08:29 2000

Re: Physics (was RE: some puns...)

I think I'm getting a little too ... hmmm ... involved here...
but if people are talking about how to say nurse, why not...

> jatlh Mike Crane:
>
> > BTW is there a word for physics/physicist?
> > I can't seem to find one.

when I first ventured to utter (write/type) some Klingon in front
of other people, I introduced myself to this list as a

'u' chutmey QeD ghojwI'

as far as I recall, no one ever corrected this :)
(it's been more than five years though)
today, I'd probably prefer HaDwI' over ghojwI'

> There is not, as far as we know. <'u'QeD> - physics/cosmology - has been
without explanation, I'd only see the latter in this

> suggested, and <HoSQeD> - physics/energy science - makes a nice compliment
well... if someone came up to me and said "I'm an energy scientist",
I think I'd show a pretty big question mark on my face

> to <HapQeD> - chemistry/matter science. <yInQeD> also seems like a natural
> for "biology".

chemistry deals with matter, but so does physics, you'd have to be
more specific, I think.

and someone who doesn't know that for English speakers life science
equals biology, might think you're talking about something more
philosophical...

(does it show I'm a physicist already :-)

> Until Marc Okrand describes how Klingons talk about the sciences in more
> detail, these are all just guesses, but they make enough sense to be used
> anyway. English has a word for "biology", but "life science" still often
> gets used, and while I've never heard "matter science" used for chemistry, I
> would immediately understand it.

notme

> Before you go blindly using using these suggestions, though, think about
> what you need the word to describe. Even if you're studying physics, you
> don't necessarily need a Klingon word for "physics" to describe your class.
> For example, physics 101, which typically considers only classical Newtonian
> mechanics, could be described as <*Newton* vIHmeH chutmey vIHaD> - "I am
> studying Newton's laws of motion". Physics 102 might be described as <tlham,
> 'ul, peQ je vIHaD> - "I am studying gravity, electricity and magnetism".

this is of course very good advice, especially if you are
talking to someone who hasn't heard lectures by the numbers
you have (I heard Experimental Physics I, II, III, Theoretical
Physics I, II, III, IV, V, Linear Algebra I, II, Analysis I, II,
III etc. - all these high-in-the-hundreds numbers really don't
mean much to me)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]