tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 01 03:37:54 2000

Re: KliFlash [Was: Re: tlhIngan Hol pojwI' 2.0]

>>  Okrand specifically rejected grammatical tense for Klingon - something
he's
>>  repeated over and over again - choosing aspect instead.  (As in a
handful
>>  of Amerindian languages he was no doubt familiar with

It's not *that* exotic.  English expresses aspect through a number of modal
verbs like "will", "gonna", "have" etc.

It's not a case of choosing "aspect" *over* tense.  Aspect is a semantic
feature.  Tense is a grammatical feature which is related to, but not
identical with, aspect.  For example: "Tomorrow we die."  Present tense,
future aspect.

Back to archive top level