tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 27 09:10:43 2000

re: Corruptisima republica plurimae leges

> From: "De'vID" <[email protected]>
> Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 13:03:59 -0500

> I'm trying to succinctly express a concept in Klingon and I'm stuck
> for ideas.  How would I say "A increases with B", i.e. "A increases as
> B increases"?

> Actually I'm trying to render something by Tacitus:
> "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

> It means "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
> (From Tacitus, Annals III 27.)

> {qalbe'chugh qum, puS chut.  qalchugh qum, law' chut.} doesn't
> quite capture the proportional relationship.

> --
> De'vID

Actually, I prefer voragh's version above all else when it comes to
translating the Latin original:

law'qu' chut; qalchu' qum.

majQa'!

I only add as a comment, that to achieve the sense of progression that you
suggested you were looking for, you might try:

qalchoHDI' qum law'choH chut.

I like the way this doesn't imply cause necessarily. Both actions can
result from a common, invisible cause. Also, it allows that the laws can
become many without the necessity of the corruption of the government. Some
other cause could create that response. Meanwhile, if the government
becomes corrupt, the laws become many, and there is the implication that
government always eventually becomes corrupt. It's not a matter of "if".
It's a matter of "when".

Meanwhile, if this ever became a proverb, it would certainly get polished
back to voragh's more concise nugget.

SarrIS

Back to archive top level