tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 26 08:42:28 2000

Re: Klingon WOTD: HeS (n)

: Klingon word:   HeS
: Part of Speech: noun
: Definition:     crime

As used in canon:

  HeSmo'
  due to the crime  (KGT)

Note the homophonous verb {HeS} "commit a crime" and the derived noun {HeSwI']
"criminal", neither of which are attested in canon.

Related vocabulary includes the interesting verb {yem} "sin", though what
exactly this means in Klingon terms is unclear.  (As modern Klingon have no
gods, it cannot be a religious crime per se; at least, not in the 24th
century.)  It's used in KCD; here's the scene as it appeared - including the
"Klingon" spelling - in the novelization (pp. 23f):

    Then speaking to Pok, but looking directly into Vok's face,
  [K'Tar] said, "Throw this {veQ} out."
    Pok stood and moved toward Vok, reaching for the unwanted guest.
    "{bIyem'a'}!" Vok said.
    Pok stopped short of grabbing Vok...
    "The celebration," Vok said, "was declared a {lop'no}.  You have
  invited the spirits of all our Klingon ancestors. Tradition dictates
  that all are welcome to the {lop 'no}. Even ancient rivals. Even me,
  K'Tar."
    "{Chut Quj}," K'Tar said.
    "{Luq ratlh}," Pok said, almost spitting his words at Vok.

Here {bIyem'a'} ("Do you sin?") seems to mean "Do you dare go against
tradition?" or "Do you dare do this dishonorable thing?"  Presumably {yem} is a
moral/honor, rather than a legal/criminal, transgression: i.e. to act in a
blatantly dishonorable fashion with complete disregard for public opinion.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level