tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 16 11:37:55 2000

Re: Klingon WOTD: ghIt (n-body)

: Klingon word:   ghIt
: Part of Speech: body part noun
: Definition:     open, flat hand
: Additional Notes:  KGT.

As used in canon:

  yuDHa'; ghIt rur
  honest as an open hand  KGT

N.B. this is a homonym with {ghIt} "ax head, ax blade" (KGT):

"The general term for ax is {'obmaQ}. Its handle is its {DeS} and its blade
is its {ghIt}. These words, {DeS} and {ghIt}, when referring to humanoid
anatomy, mean 'arm' and 'open, flat hand' (as opposed to a fist [ro']),
respectively, suggesting that at one time the ax was considered an
extension of the warrior himself." (KGT p.63)

  yuDHa'; ghIt rur
  honest as an ax head  KGT

Note that the general terms for  "handle, hilt" {ret'aq} and "blade"
{'etlh} which - axes excepted - may be used for any bladed weapon, such as
knives, swords and bat'leths.  (I'm sure we will eventually learn of more
specialized technical vocabulary, jargon and slang WRT the parts of
traditional weapons.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons