tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 15 09:25:31 2000

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day (Noun series indicating possession)

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:00:05 -0500, William H. Martin said:

>  I hate ambiguity. Other people here think it is seriously cool, but to me,
>  it indicates a place in the grammar when somebody should have said, "Oops".
>  I wish we could fix it. We can't.

Thing is that in most languages ambiguity is solved simply by experience.
When something is ambiguous, you will by experience be able to judge
which is most likely. Such experience obviously doesn't exist in (m)any
human Klingon-speakers.

--
(o-   ((Albert Arendsen) || (Chakotay) || (Reyn Eaglestorm))   -o)
/\\   )O(  http://voyager.student.utwente.nl/  )O(   //\

Back to archive top level