tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 14 22:07:33 2000

Grammar Highlight Each Day (possessive pronoun-like suffixes)

Disclaimer:  This is only a highlight.  It does not attempt to cover all
aspects of the words involved.

Klingon has two sets of noun suffixes which indicate possession, one applying
to beings capable of language and the other applying to things not capable of
language.

Here is the set of suffixes Klingons affix to nouns referring to beings
capable of language:

jupwI' = my friend (jup = friend, -wI' = my)
juplI' = your friend (-lI' = your [singular])
jupDaj = his friend/her friend/its friend (-Daj = his/her/its)
jupma' = our friend (-ma' = our)
jupra' = your friend (-ra' your [plural])
jupchaj = their friend (-chaj = their)

Here is the set of suffixes for things not capable of language:

DujwIj = my vehicle (Duj = vehicle, craft, ship; -maj = my)
DujlIj = your vehicle (-lIj = your [singular])
DujDaj = his vehicle/her vehicle/its vehicle (-Daj = his/her/its)
Dujmaj = our vehicle (-maj = our)
Dujraj = your vehicle (-raj = your [plural])
Dujchaj = their vehicle (-chaj = their)

Notice that -Daj (his/her/its) and -chaj (their) are the same in both sets.

Notice that the final letter is either ' [for beings capable of language] or
j [for things not capable of language] in first person or second person.

peHruS

Back to archive top level