tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 11 21:46:53 2000

Grammar Highlight Each Day (Extracted Syllables)

Disclaimer:  This is only a highlight about a particular point, not an
exhaustive explanation nor complete language teaching tool.

Klingon has lots of words in the dictionary with more than one syllable.
Sometimes both of the syllables are defined elsewhere; we can be sure of the
meaning of each syllable.  But, many words have syllables which are not
defined separately elsewhere; we cannot know what these syllables mean.  Nor
can we use these syllables.

Examples:  peHghep = Age of Inclusion (ghep = age; peH = [undefined])
ruStay = Bonding Ritual (ruS = [undefined]; tay = ritual)
yInroH = life signs (yIn = life; roH = [undefined])

In each case above we may not use the undefined syllable.  We may not assume
peH means anything like the English word "inclusion"; we may not assume ruS
means "bonding"; we may not assume roH means "signs."

In the case of 'ejyo' = Starfleet, we do not know what either syllable means
by itself.

If Marc Okrand ever tells us what a syllable means, then and only then may we
use it.

peHruS

Back to archive top level