tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 04 07:24:28 2000

RE: KLBC: jIleng 'e' vImuS.

jIjatlh:
> > {juH vItlheD} "I departed the home"
> > or
> > {juHvo' jItlheD} "I departed from the home"

jang peHruS:

> Is {tlheD} one of the "verbs of motion" that MO has verified as being
> optionally transitive?
>
> BTW, what is the list MO has given us?

The interview with Okrand in HolQeD Volume 7, Number 4 doesn't mention
{tlheD} one way or the other.
The gloss given for {tlheD} in TKD is "depart", so it sounds possible that
the object of this verb is the thing you are departing.

The list in that issue of HolQeD gives the verbs {ghoS}, {jaH}, {bav},
{Dech}, {ngaS}, {vegh}, {'el}, {leng}, and {paw}.  From what I gather from
the interview, all of these verbs can have an object - The object of {jaH}
is what you are going to, the object of {bav} is what you are orbiting, etc.
You would also be able to use a prefix that indicates a vague or unknown
object, and then use a noun with {-Daq} to indicate where the action is
occuring. For example,
{yuQ vIbav} "I orbit the planet"
{qIbDaq jIbav} "I orbit (something unknown) in the galaxy"
{yuQDaq jIbav} "I orbit (something unknown) while I'm at the planet"
If I've misunderstood what the interview was saying, and these sentences
don't work, I'm sure that SarrIS will be happy to clarify.

- taD

Back to archive top level