tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 04 07:21:50 2000

RE: KLBC: -logh with -qa'

De'vID:
> > > I initially wanted to say {wejlogh Devqa' Jean Chretian} for
> > > "Jean Chretian rules [i.e. is Prime Minister of] Canada for the
> > > third time",

peHruS:
> > I'll wait to see what the experts say.  But, think about using the verb
> > {che'} instead of {Dev} for "rules."  What do you think?

De'vID:
> maj.  bIchupchu'.  {Dev} is overused.  I could have also used
> {cho'} "to succeed (to authority)".  wejlogh cho' Jean Chretian.
> wejlogh che' ghaH.

All of these suggestions are good. I'd probably go with {cha'logh che'pu'
ghaH. 'ej DaH che'qa'} ("He has ruled twice. And now he reigns again."), but
what you used is fine too.
If you said {wejlogh che'qa' Jean Chretian}, it probably would be understood
as "Three times, Jean Chretian resumed ruling", implying that he ruled for 4
separate time periods.

- taD

Back to archive top level