tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 29 13:30:19 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Part 4 Some mistakes

jatlh Tremal-Naik:
>mughIjbogh vay''e' 'ej vIHotbe'pu'bogh muteb.
>
>"Something which scare me and which I not feel fill me"

This still doesn't solve the problem. Since {mughIjbogh vay''e' 'ej
vIHotbe'pu'bogh} is the subject, it needs to come at the end of the
sentence, after {muteb}:
   muteb mughIjbogh vay''e' 'ej vIHotbe'pu'bogh.
I'm not sure why you added an {'ej} in this version.

>In both versions <<vay''e'>> is the subject and even the object... I
>"topic"-ized it with -'e'.

In this sentence, I think {vay'} acts as the subject, regardless of
whether it has {-'e'}. In canon, {-'e'} generally seems to work
differently from all the other type 5 noun suffixes. Nouns with {-'e'}
are normally used as part of the sentence (subject or object), while
nouns with the other type 5 suffixes are normally used as "header nouns"
(i.e., they come before the sentence). Thus:
   muteb mughIjbogh vay''e' vIHotbe'pu'bogh.
   *Something* that scares me and that I have never felt before fills
   me.

   muteb mughIjbogh vay' vIHotbe'pu'bogh.
   Something that scares me and that I have never felt before fills me.
You don't really even need the {-'e'}.

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level