tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 29 09:01:40 2000

Re: chIl [was Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Uff! :)]

Voragh:
>  tlham <chIllu'> (??)
>  We've lost gravity! ST6

De'vID:
: What do the angular brackets and (??) signify?  Was the line in the
: script but not spoken, spoken but cut off, or garbled, or what?

The second word was garbled, indistinct and/or mispronounced, so my
transcription is uncertain.

It was one of the many lines shouted in the background during the attack on
Kronos One, so there was a lot of noise, confusion, sound effects and dramatic
music as well.  I believe that the English subtitle was displayed, but I'm
still uncertain about the Klingon line.  IIRC I distinctly heard {cham} and
what sounded like {chIl}, but I'm not so sure about any suffixes; I don't
remember hearing anything that sounded like a verb prefix - i.e. *{cham
wIchIlpu'} "We have lost gravity", which would be a literal translation of the
English.  Also, Okrand may well have rendered the line in Clipped Klingon.

BTW, the fact that Okrand's Klingon doesn't quite match the subtitle is not
uncommon in the movies as it is often only a loose translation of the original
English line in the script.  Also, the post-production people sometimes changed
(or mis-typed) the subtitles after the scene was filmed, so it no longer
reflects exactly the line in the script Okrand was given to translate.

If your ears or sound system are better than mine, I would welcome seeing what
you can make of this scene.  ST6 has a lot of short Klingon utterances spoken
or muttered in the background - especially during the Kronos One, trial and
Rura Penthe scenes - that weren't translated in the subtitles, though some of
it actually shows up (often mis-spelled) in the Closed Captions.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level