tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 24 06:00:14 2000

Re: tlhIngan "Tao" ?

majQa'!

K'Pach
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ryan Stasel
  To: [email protected]
  Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 1:12 AM
  Subject: RE: tlhIngan "Tao" ?

  I would have to agree with JaHinTa' on this point.  Being a person
  whom considers himself somewhere between the Taoist philosophy and
  Buddhism, I would say that such things cannot be translated.
  however, while reading The Klingon Way, and thinking generally into
  Klingon there is something there... perhaps something that might be
  considered a Tao.  But only in the context of the typical translation
  of Tao being "the way".  A Taoist would just assume sit in his/her
  back yard watching the world go by as anything else.  To a Klingon,
  this would be considered old, and feable... two words which if spoken
  to a klingon would get you backhanded.

  I think Chuang Tzu said it best in the story of Carpender Shih (I
  know this is not a discussion form for Taoism... however, I believe
  this is something a Klingon would never understand...

  - ----

  Carpenter Shih was on his way to Chi, when he came to a place called
  Chu Yuan, where he saw an oak tree which was venerated as the home of
  the spirits of the land.  The tree was so vast that a thousand oxen
  could hide behind it.  It was a hundred spans round and it soared
  above the hill to eighty feet before it even began to put out
  branches.  There were ten such branches, from any one of which an
  entire boat could be carved.  Masses of people came to it, giving the
  place a carnival atmosphere, but carpenter Shih didn't even look
  round, just went on his way.  His assistant looked at it with great
  intensity, and then chased after his master and said, "Since I first
  took up my axe and followed you, I have never seen a wood such as
  this.  Sir, why did you not even glance at it nor stop, but just kept
  going?"

  He said, "Silence, not another word!  This tree is useless.  Make a
  boat from it and it would sink; make a coffin and it would rot
  quickly; make some furniture and it would fall to pieces; make a door
  and it would be covered in seeping sap; make a pillar and it would be
  worm-eaten.  This wood is useless and good for nothing.  This is why
  it has lived so long."

  When Master Shih was returning, the tree appeared to him in a dream,
  saying, "What exactly are you comparing me with?  With ornamental
  Fruit trees?  Trees such as the hawthorn, pear trees, orange trees,
  citrus trees, gourds and other such fruit trees?  Their fruits are
  knocked down when they are ripe and the trees suffer.  The big
  branches are damaged and the small ones are broken off.  Because they
  are useful, they suffer, and they are unable to live out the years
  Heaven has given them.  They have only their usefulness to blame for
  this destruction wrought by the people.  It is the same with all
  things.  I have spent a long time studying to be useless, though on a
  couple of occasions I was nearly destroyed.  However now I have
  perfected the art of uselessness, and this is very useful, to me!  If
  I had been of use, could I have grown so vast?  Furthermore, you and
  I are both things.  How can one thing make such statements about
  another?  How can you, a useless man about to die, know anything
  about a useless tree?

  When carpenter Shih awoke, he told his apprentice what he had dreamt.
   The apprentice said, "If it wants to be useless, why is it used as a
  shrine for the spirits of the land?"

  "Hush!  Don't say another word!" said Shih, "The tree happens to be
  here so it is an altar.  By this it protects itself from harm from
  those who do not realize it is useless, for were it not an altar, it
  would run the risk of being chopped down.  Furthermore, this tree is
  no ordinary one, so to speak of it in normal terms is to miss the
  point."

  Nan Po Tzu Chi, wandering amongst the mountains of Shang, came upon a
  great and unusual tree, under which could shelter a thousand
  chariots, and they would all be covered.   Tzu Chi said, "What kind
  of tree is this?  It is surely a most wondrous piece of timber!"
  However, when he looked up, he could see that the smaller branches
  were so twisted and gnarled that they could not be made into rafters
  and beams; and looking down at the trunk he saw it was warped and
  distorted and would not make good coffins.  He licked one of its
  leaves and his mouth felt scarped and sore.  He sniffed it and it
  nearly drove him mad, as if he had been drunk for three days.

  "This tree is certainly good for nothing," said Tzu Chi.  "This is
  why it has grown so large.  Ah-Ha!  This is the sort of uselessness
  that sages live by."

  "...The cinnamon tree is edible, so it is cut down.  The varnish tree
  is useful and it is cut about.  Everyone knows the usefulness of the
  useful, but no one knows the usefulness of the useless!"