tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 21 09:43:00 2000

crossword 4 / rarchuq mu'mey 4

>>Nicolau Rodrigues writes:
>> By the way,Marc Ruehlaender, I would like to see the solutions of >>your crosswords too, I can't solve your last one...

ja' Marc Ruehlaender:
> I would like to know whether you think the clues were
> (semantically) reasonable and how easy/difficult
> they were.

*Marc*, bIHemlaHba', wej Dop chenbogh wa'DIch <<rarchuq mu'mey>>'e' DachenmoHlaw'ta'mo', tlhIngan <<rarchuq mu'mey>> teH!
*clue*vaD pagh mu' vISamta' jay', ghIq vaj Hol vIlo'taHvIS vItaHlaHbe'.

Really, clues were right, logical and well written (except for your first crossword, where <<bIjanglu'meH>> must be <<Dajanglu'meH>>), but regarding to the vocabulary I have a question:
where do you have the word {'elaS} as a planet of the Tellun Star System? Your definition is {telun Hovtay' yuQ}, I don't have the KGT, perhaps this word appears there...

The main problem in your crossword is the direction of the words, they are a bit confusing, some ones are as expected, some others are backwards... In my modest opinion, the solution would be to draw the crosswords so:

               /\
            1 /  \ A
             /____\
            /\    /\
chan     2 /  \  /  \ B     tIng
          /____\/____\
         /\    /\    /\
      3 /  \  /  \  /  \ C
       /____\/____\/____\
         a     b     c

             'ev

{chan} (E) -
{'ev} (NW) \
{tIng} (SW) /

If we know that {chan} (E), {'ev} (NW) and {tIng} (SW) are not cardinal points but directional points, we can infere that:
 definition "3" starts from the left bottom triangle, has 5 letters and ends at the right bottom triangle;
 definition "b" starts from bottom central triangle, has 3 letters and ends at left central triangle;
 and definition "A" starts from the top triangle, has 5 letters and ends at the left bottom triangle, that is, last letter of "A" is the first one of "3".
 By the way, definitions "1", "a" and "C" have just one letter.

Just to challenge myself, I tried to write a triangular crossword, and here's my attempt:

{chanDaq}
1- Every conflict starts equal.
2- .esubA
3- We speak, but not to each other.

{'evDaq}
a- Catalog has two.
b- She answers while he replies.
c- Dear Klag!

{tIngDaq}
A- We get in mixed up.
B- Everyone possess something.
C- Extreme of finger.

I have to confess that I don't like it, it's not elegant, as Marc's was. Questions, comments, critics?

	ghaHbe'wI'
	////

Solutions to Crossword 3
  1   2 3  4 5 6