tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 20 19:01:58 2000

RE: [KLBC] Conditional

Tremal-Naik:

> How could express conditional phrases in tlhIngan Hol?

English has some special grammar related to "could" and "should" that has no
equivalent in Klingon, so you have to think a bit about what they really
mean.

> 	I should kill him
>
> 	???

"should", in this example, means that there is some reason for you to kill
him: your personal moral code, general social customs, a legal procedure,
etc. You don't need to specify the reason in English, and you don't need to
specify it in Klingon either. You can just say <vIHoH net pIH> - "one
expects me to kill him" - there's a general expectation that you will kill
him. To be a bit stronger you could also say <vIHoH net poQ> - "one requires
me to kill him".

Also consider <vIHoHnIS> - "I need to kill him". It's a related idea, and it
might work in some contexts.

> 	I could kill him
>
> 	vIHoHlaHlaw'

maj. This is good.