tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 20 18:04:15 2000

RE: Hello

Be'jen:

> Hello--
> I've subscribed to this list for a while, but this is my
> first posting.  I'd like to ask a question: I have a friend
> who is becoming Klingon and needs a good name.  The
> best-fitting name for her would be something like "Stands
> With a Fist", the character from the movie "Dances With
> Wolves".  Can anyone give me a Klingon equivalent?  Thank you!

Welcome to the list. My name is pagh, and I am currently the Beginners'
Grammarian. Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it with a KLBC
in the subject line.

Hmmm. If I remember correctly, Stands with a Fist acquired her name after an
incident in which she responded to an older person insulting her by standing
and brandishing a fist. Her boldness so surprised everyone that the incident
turned into her name.

The strict literal tranlsation of "Stands with a Fist" would probably be
<Qambogh ro' cha'wI'> - "One who displays a fist and stands", but I don't
think that would make a very good name. For your friend, I would suggest
something like <jaqqu'wI'> - one who is very bold.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level