tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 15 18:52:06 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Part 13

Since our BG is mysteriously reluctant to deal with "The Raven", I'll step in
with more unsolicited advice. <g>

Tremal-Naik wrote:
: Till the dirges of his Hope that melancholy burden bore
: Of "Never ­ nevermore".
:
: lughoSmo' QIH 'IQmoH bomHommeyDaj
: 'ej bomHommeyDaj 'IQ rInmoH «not ­ not qaS»

A dirge is definitely not a {bomHom} - a small, or less important song.
According to my dictionary, a dirge is "a funeral song or a song in
commemoration of the dead".  The latter sounds *very* Klingon; in fact, I
think
we heard old Kor sing one in commemoration of his dead friend Kang in DS9
"Blood Oath".  Try {Hegh bom} (death song) or {nol bom} (funeral song).

>From _Klingon for the Galactic Traveller_ we know of several types of Klingon
songs: {bang bom} love song, {chon bom} hunting song, {Dap bom} nonsense song,
{HIvje' bom} drinking song, {may' bom} battle song, and {van bom} anthem or
hymn.

: PS: I have changed the name of the Raven in "not qaS". I think that it
: could mean "Never happen", which is similar to "Nevermore".

Check your dictionary.  "Nevermore" is not merely an emphatic form of "never",
but rather an old-fashioned, poetic way of saying "never again".  If you like
{not qaS}, make it {not qaSqa'} "it will never happen again":  It may have
happened once (or more), but it will never happen again.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level