tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 11 09:24:18 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Part 7

jatlh Tremal-Naik:
>'ach muD tam 'ej tammoH tu'lu'

jIjang:
>{tam} (the verb) should precede {muD}
>(the subject) in the first clause.

Tremal-Naik:
>But if the verb is an adjective it should be follow the noun...
>
>muD tam should meaning "quiet atmosphere" and tam muD "the atmosphere is
>quiet"... Or not?

Correct. If you're trying to say, "But there is quiet atmosphere and
silence," then it seems you should write something like:
  'ach muD tam tamtaHghach je tu'lu'.
If, on the other hand, you're trying to say, "But there is quiet and
silent atmosphere," then you should note that the adjectives "quiet" and
"silent" are synonymous, and Klingon uses {tam} for both:
  'ach muD tam tu'lu'.
In my earlier post, I misinterpreted your intentions; I thought you were
trying to say, "But the atmosphere is quiet and there is only silence,"
which is why I thought you wanted:
  'ach tam muD 'ej tamtaHghach neH tu'lu'.
Obviously, there are many ways to translate this particularly line, so
you can do it however you want.

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level