tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 11 08:04:06 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Part 7

jatlh Tremal-Naik:
>I try to solve the problem with "quite" and "silence" using:
>
>'ach muD tam 'ej tammoH tu'lu'
>
>Sound good?

Almost. Just a couple problems. {tam} (the verb) should precede {muD}
(the subject) in the first clause. In the second clause, {tammoH} is a
verb, so it can't be the object of another verb ({tu'lu'}). The meaning
of {tammoH} is "to silence." It occurs when someone is silencing someone
else. Literally, it means "to cause to be quiet." Since no one is
causing anyone to be quiet here, {tammoH} is probably not the best
choice. In normal conversation, I would say, {'ach tamtaH Hoch} or
something like that, but that is obviously too short for this poem.
Using your basic idea instead, we come up with:
  'ach tam muD 'ej tamtaHghach neH tu'lu'.

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level