tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 11 07:36:27 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Part 7

mugh Tremal:
>Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
>Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
>But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
>And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, "Leonore!"
>Merely this and nothing more.
>
>Hur Hurgh vIbej, naDev jIQam 'ej jIQub, jIghIjmoHlu'
>jIHon, Dochmey'e' najbe'bogh loD vInaj;
>'ach *silcence* *quiet* je tu'lu'
>'ej mu' neH vIjatlhbogh *Leanore*'e' 'oH
>mu'vam neH 'ej pagh law'.
>
>Just a question: anyone know how to say "curtain", "silence" and
>"quiet"?

va! I just typed a 47-line reply to this e-mail before I realized that
this is KLBC. Oh, well, I'll reply to your last question anyway. "Quiet"
and "silence" are both verbs. You can recast your above sentence in this
way. pagh will probably elaborate. As for "curtain," in The Klingon
Hamlet, {HaSta} was used for "arras" (p. 109), but this doesn't seem to
be what you want. ("...the silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each
purple visual display" doesn't quite carry the same weight and tone as
the original.)

Keep up the good work!

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level