tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 10 11:50:29 2000

Re: [KLBC] Doubt about "with"

In a message dated 8/7/2000 6:26:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

In addition to pagh's excellent reply below, I offer:  maja'chuq and
matay'DI' majatlh.

peHruS

<<  I want to say "I speak klingon with you"...

 > I'm right if I use:
 >
 > SoHvaD tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh ?
 >
 > I think not, because it seems "For your benefit, I speak
 > klingon", but I haven't any other idea. It's a last-minute
 > doubt... I try to search about it on TKD but I cannot find
 > any answer.

 <-vaD> indicates the beneficiary of the action. It often gets translated as
 "For the benefit of", or something similar, but that's an English problem,
 not a Klingon one. Unfortunately, though, the section in TKD on <-vaD> is
 not as detailed as it could be.

 A noun with <-vaD> on it often corresponds to an English indirect object.
 <SoHvaD tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh> means "I speak Klingon to you". <ghaHvaD paq
 Danob> means "You give him the book". <ghaHvaD matlh vIpong> means "I call
 him Maltz".

 pagh >>

Back to archive top level