tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 09 14:43:56 2000

RE: [KLBC] Another doubt

Tremal-Naik:

> Sorry if I resend it to you, but in this days I've got some problem
> with my local mailserver...
>
> In phrases like: "You begin to speak", can I use -moH in this way:
> "bIjatlhmoH"?

The suffix you want is <-choH>, not <-moH>. <bIjatlhchoH> - you begin to
speak.

> But I'm very confused with phrases like "word which start with
> b"... Is right:
>
> *b* chenmoHbogh mu'
>
> (I'm sure that it isn't correct :)
>
> ??

That's a very difficult one. First of all, we don't have a word for "letter"
or "symbol" or "glyph", which makes talking about spelling matters somewhat
difficult.

Also, the phrase "start with" is very weird to try to translate into
Klingon. What it really means (in this case) is that the first letter of the
word is *b*. I can't think of a good way to say that in Klingon, especially
without a context.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level