tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 26 19:15:18 2000

Re: Klingon WOTD: wovmoHwI' (n)

Eodrakken asked:

: > Klingon word:   wovmoHwI'
: > Part of Speech: noun
: > Definition:     light
:
: Am I right in thinking that this means a physical object that gives
: off light, such as a lamp, and not the actual waves of photons?

Correct.  It is a new word from the Bird-of-Prey Poster:

  telDaq wovmoHwI'mey
  Wing Lights

BTW for the Hallmark Bird-of-Prey Christmas ornament commercial some years
ago Okrand came up with another way to refer to lights, {wovmoHbogh jan}:

  Qapqu' wovmoHbogh janHommey
  It even has working lights!

: If so, can <wov> be used to mean the latter noun, as well as the
: verb 'to be bright'?

Nope.  You can't use one for the other, however tempting.

However the good news is that because of {maSwov} "moonlight" we suspect
that there MAY be a noun *{wov}, either historically or just left out of
what is a relatively small vocabulary.  The bad news is that since Okrand
didn't list it in TKD or KGT, or used it anywhere else, we don't use it
here on this mailing list.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons