tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 21 08:30:07 2000

Re: KLIC: Hegh Romeo net poQ

nuQum De'vID:

De'vID has developed a nice feel for the language.  Just a couple of minor
suggestions...

: qen jIH'a' much vIbej. lutvamvaD "Hegh Romeo net poQ" ponglu'.
: = I recently saw a movie called "Romeo Must Die".

Hmm, nice.  I hadn't thought of using {much} before.

  much     presentation
  much     to present, perform (music)
  muchwI'  musician

It's a good general word for a show or performance of any kind, such as a
play or opera.  Others have used *{lut'a'}, *{jIHlut} and - my favorite -
*{jIH'a' lut} for "movie" on this list.  FYI *{jIHlut} is most often used
for a television episode.

: HeSwI'ghom DevwI' ghaH Han Sing vav'e'.
: = Han Sing's father is the head of a gang [= criminal group].

Very nice translation of "(criminal) gang".  Also keep in mind {tlhach}
"sect, faction" which is listed in the KGT glossary (MO discusses the word
in HQ 4.4).  That {tlhach} is used more broadly in Klingon than the English
glosses might indicate can be seen from Okrand's discussion of {tlhach
mu'mey} "argot, jargon" in KGT:

   Practitioners of a great many activities have developed specialized
   vocabulary or uses of words in order to label the tools of their
   trade or to express subtle distinctions. such specialized language
   is known in Klingon as {tlhach mu'mey} (literally, "faction words").
   A good Federation Standard equivalent would be argot or jargon.
   Interestingly, some fairly common words in Klingon began as {tlhach
   mu'mey} and then, over time, spread to general usage, often with
   altered meanings." (KGT:45)

: Suvchuq SuvwI' mI'wI' 'e' Dabej 'e' DatIvchugh [...]
: = If you enjoy watching fight scenes (martial arts) [...]

This feels a little awkward.  How about:

  Suvchuqbogh SuvwI'pu' Dabej 'e' DatIvchugh
  If you enjoy watching warriors fighting (each other)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level