tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 20 12:03:00 2000

KLIC: Sun Tzu (Re: vagh vIttlheghmey)

tuv'el:

> vagh vIttlheghmeyvam'e' qonbogh SuvwI' <Sun Tzu> lupablu'chugh reH yayna'
> chavlu':

maj!  I've translated parts of Sun Tzu myself.  Here are the opening
verses (English is from the L. Giles translation):

Sun-Tzu's "The Art of War"
/*Sun-Tzu <veS to'>/

I.  LAYING PLANS
/'ay' wa': nabmeH mIw/

     1.  Sun Tzu said:  The art of war is of vital importance to
the State.
/jatlh *Sun-Tzu: wo'vaD potlhqu' veS to'./

     2.  It is a matter of life and death, a road either to
safety or to ruin.  Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on
no account be neglected.
/yIn, Hegh joq wuqlaHbej, yay He, QIH He ghap wIvlaHchu'.
vaj yIqelchu', yIbuSHa'Qo'!/

     3.  The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
factors,  to be taken into account in one's deliberations,  when
seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.
/vagh Dochmey pabqu' veS to', not choH Dochmeyvam.
che'ronDaq Dotlh Daperchu' 'e' DanIDtaHvIS 'ej
bInabtaHvIS, Dochmeyvam yIbuS./

     4.  These are:  (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven;  (3)  Earth;
(4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
/luperlu':  (wa') ghob ;  (cha') ngeHbej ;  (wej) che'ron ;
(loS) ra'wI' ;  (vagh) nab Sun je./

That's all for now.  I'd appreciate any comments as I'd
like to eventually translate the whole thing.

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
The official site of the Star Trek universe

Back to archive top level