tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 14 12:14:03 2000

chay' Hoch rItlhmey luponglu'?

rItlh pongmey motlh:

Doq "red, orange" [TKD]
SuD "blue, green, yellow" [TKD]
qIj "black" [TKD]
chIS "white" [TKD]
Doq 'ej beqpuj rur "orange" [KGT]
Doqqu' "very red" [KGT]
SuD 'ej wov "yellow" [KGT]
SuDqu' "green" [KGT]
Doq 'ej wovbe' "brown" [HolQeD]

When I saw the word of the day /SuD/, it reminded me of the Klingon words we
have for colors.  Since I like to keep my dictionary reasonably clean, but
at the same time, have lots of shades of meaning already spelled out in it,
I sometimes go overboard in extrapolating meaning.  Well, there are
instructions for getting more specific on color in KGT (yes, I realize it
says these would probably not be in every day use, but more for artisans and
the like.), but I don't have my copy handy.  Does anyone remember how
anyone know why "brown" was called /Doq 'ej wovbe'/ instead of /Doq 'ej
Hurgh/ or even /Doq 'ach qIj/?  Also, here are the seven that I
extrapolated.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the rules (or have access to
them at the moment), so I don't remember what my justification was.

rItlh pongmey latlh:

Doq 'ach qIj "brown"
Doq 'ach chIS "pink"
SuD 'ej Hurgh "blue"