tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 12 15:31:03 2000

RE: introduction

Welcome to the list, Jeff. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian for the list. Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark
it for my attention with a KLBC in the subject line.

jalth Jeff Dahl:

> Jeff Dahl 'oH pongwIj'e'.

maj.

> chorghmaH jIH 'ej Hergh juH* chamwI' jIH.

qaHon vIneHbe', 'ach chaq <wa'maH chorgh> DaghItlhHa'. I am guessing you are
18 (not 80) years old.

Also, the customary way to say "I am X years old" in Klingon is: <X ben
jIbogh> - "I was born X years ago".

> QoQ paqmey QaQ je vItIv jIH.

maj. The <jIH> on the end is fine, but it is not necessary. Pronouns are
usually omitted in Klingon, espeically when the verb prefix specifies which
pronoun would be used. When pronouns are used, it's usually for emphasis or
for added clarity.

> tlhIngan Hol vItIvba' jIH.

maj.

> qaD Qatlh vItIvqu' jIH

maj.

> 'ej tlhIngan Hol muqaDbej jIH.

You got the verb prefix right, but the sentence order is not. Since you are
not doing the challenging, you are not the subject. The challenging is being
done *to* you, making you the object. The subject is <tlhIngan Hol> - the
thing which challenges you. Once again, the pronoun can be omitted, and
usually would be:

'ej muqaDbej tlhIngan Hol.

> *Hergh juH (lit. medicine home (pharmacy))
How about <Hergh Suy> - Medicine merchant

Good first message. Keep it up!

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ