tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 10 16:48:25 2000

RE: KLBC cha' yu'

jIjatlh:
> The word for "decimal point" is <vI'>, so something
> like <loS vI' vagh> would make sense for 4.5. I suspect
> there's a canon example of this involving a stardate.
> Note also the word <DoD>, which means "mark (in
> coordinates)".

jatlh veS joH:
> It's likely in TKD, but I can't find it right now,
> so how do you  recite decimals in Klingon in terms
> of "tenths", "hundredths", "thousandths", etc.
> Also, how would you say a fraction?  would {1/3}
> be "wa' wejdich"?

It's not in TKD, or anywhere else. We know about whole numbers in Klingon,
and about decimal points, but the only thing we know about fractions is that
"half" is <bID>.

<wa' wejDIch> (note spelling) would almost certainly not be 1/3. The only
"third" we have even a chance of talking about is something like "third (in
line)". TKD's not very clear on whether oridnals can be used as nouns on
their own, but it's at least possible. Here's a contrived example.

DuSaQDaq Soch ghojwI' ghom lutu'lu'. Hoch ghomDaq, Hoch ghojwI' perlu'.
ghojmeH Qu' qellu'DI', ghojwI' wa'DIch nIv law' Hoch nIv puS. ghojwI'
wa'DIch qelbe'lu'DI', ghojwI' cha'DIch nIv law' Hoch nIv puS. . .

Hoch DIS, ghomchaj 'oSmeH, Hoch ghomvo' cha' ghojwI' wIvlu'. roD wa'DIchpu',
cha'DIchpu' neH wIvlu', 'ach DISvam, ropmo' wa' cha'DIch, wa' wejDIch
wIvlu'.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ