tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 07 17:22:41 2000

RE: (KLBC) Background names

jatlh ghaHbe'wI':

> tlhIngan tIgh vIHaDlI'.
> 'oHmo'(*) potlhqu' Hol.

> * {'oHmo'} refers to the whole preceding sentence.
> It could be possible something as {'e'mo'}. If
> {'e'} is a pronoun and it replaces sentences
> (such as {jImoH. 'e' vISov}), why not?

The reason it doesn't work is that <'e'> can *only* act as the object of a
verb. It can't be the subject, and it can't be used as an "extra" noun with
a type five suffix.

There is an easy way around this, though. Try this out:

... vIHaDlI'. meqvammo' ...

> 'ach rut wa' DochvaD pongmey pIm tu'lu'.

bIlugh.

> ghIq tetlhvam tIq vIghItlh, vIghermeH tuQaHmeH(**).

> ** {vIghermeH tuQaHmeH}. Here I tried to mean "in order
> that you help me to complete it". Is it right? How would
> you say "in order that you help to (verb)?" Can a {-meH}
> depend on another {-meH}?

There's no reason I know that it can't. It's a little hard to parse, but
it's perfectly grammatical. The <-meH> clause has to go *before* the clause
or noun it's modifying, though:

ghIq, tuQaHmeH vIghermeH tetlhvam tIq vIghItlh -
Then, in order that you help me to compile it, I

> Duj, nuH, Daqmey, ghotpu' noy, tay je bIH 'ay'mey'e':

Plurals are of course optional in Klingon, but it's generally best to be
consistent with them.

> Duj:
> - ? = "Vor'cha"

Can't help you on this one. I believe it exists, but I don't know what it
is.

> - qIvo'rIt = "K'vort"
> - qItI'nga' = "K'tinga"

maj.

> S15
> {tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH
> qItI'nga' Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'enterpray'}
> a sleeper ship of this K'tinga class, the T'ong, was
> encountered in the 24rd century by the USS Enterprise
> S15
> {qItI'nga' Duj tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH wej HochHom
> lo'lu'taH} the K'tinga class remained in use for most
> of the 23rd century

> - bI'rel = "B'rel"

maj.

nuH:
> - nISwI' beH = "disruptor rifle"
> - nISwI' HIch = "disruptor pistol"
> - betleH = "Sword of Honor"
> - Daqtagh = "warrior's knife"
> - 'oy'naQ = "painstick"

maj.

TKW
> {'oy'naQ Dalo'be'chugh not nenghep lop puq}
> if you don't use your painstik, the child will never
> celebrate his Age of Ascension

> - jejtaj = ?

not' mu'Heyvam vIleghpu'. chaq <tajtIq> Daqel.

> - meQleH = "mek'leth"
> - chonnaQ = "hunting's spear"

There are two whole section in KGT on weapons, both traditional and modern.

> Daqmey:
> - QrIS'taq = "Kri'stak volcano" (jIbejbe')

That <Qr> at the beginning is as unpronouncable as "xzfylgh" in English. I
don't know what this is supposed to be, but it is most likely <QIrIStaq>.
The only volcano related terms I know are <vaHbo'> - "lava" and <qajunpaQ> -
"courage, audacity", which originated from a word in another language that
meant something like "glowing lava".

> - ? = "Lursor" (ngeng)

jISovbe'chu'

> - QI'tomer = "Khitomer"
> TKW
> {QI'tomerDaq Heghpu' Hoch}
> no one survived Khitomer

maj.

> - ? = "Sto'vo'qor"

This one is a great mystery. "Sto'vo'qor" (or however the writers spell it)
is basically the mystical Klingon Valhalla. I don't know that we've ever
gotten a reasonable Klingon spelling of it. Note also <QI'tu'> - "Paradise"
and <yo' qIj> - "the black fleet". My guess is the black fleet sails around
in the mystical seas of Stovokor.

> - ghe'tor / ghe''or = "Gre'thor"

I prefer <ghe''or>, but <ghe'tor> is newer.

> - Qo'noS = "Kronos"

maj.

> - ? = "Praxis" (Qo'noS maS)
> - ? = Boreth" (yuQ)

I'm pretty sure these exist, but I don't know them.

> ghotpu' noy:
> - qeylIS = "Kahless"
> PK
> {bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj}
> may you encounter Kahless in your dreams
> PK
> {SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj}
> may the spirit of Kahless live within you

noyba' qeylIS, 'ej potlhqu' je.

> - moratlh = "Morath" (qeylIS loDnI')

maj.

> - molor = "Molor"
> - ? =  "ja'roD" (DuraS vav)
> - DuraS = "Duras"
> - qeylar = "K'Ehleyr" (wo'rIv parmaqqay)
> - mogh = "Mogh" (wo'rIv qern je vav)

maj.

> - wo'rIv = "Worf"
> S20
> {qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv}
> the sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house
> SBC-S8
> {qaStaHvIS wa'maH puq poHmey, wo'rIv betleH ghaj qorDu'Daj}
> his family have Worf's bat'telh for ten generations

maj.

> - qern = "Kurn"

Really? The <rn> is not normally pronouncable.

> - qempeq = "K'mpec"

I always thought it was <qImpeq>, but I don't know for sure.

> - ghawran = "Gowron"
> S25
> {yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI'
> Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD}
> Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain
> Jean-Luc Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession

maj.

> tay:
> - nentay = "Rite of Ascension"
> - nenghep = "Age of Ascension"
> TKW
> {'oy'naQ Dalo'be'chugh not nenghep lop puq}
> if you don't use your painstik, the child will
> never celebrate his Age of Ascension

maj.

> - B'aht Qul = ? (Quj)

jISovbe'.

> - ? = "G'now juk Hol" (quH chut)

jISovbe'.

> - Heghbat/Heghba' = "ritual suicide"

maj.

> - Heghtay = "death ritual"
> S31
> {Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'. Heghtay luloptaHvIS
> chaH chaq bey SeQ lujach}
> other Klingons may perform a ceremonial howl or yell
> as part of the Klingon death ritual

maj. See also <nol>.

> - ja'chuq = "succession ritual"
> - jatyIn = "spiritual possession"

maj.

> - jInaq = "amulet"

Specifically, an amulet given to a female. I think it's sometime in early
adolescence.

> - ? = "majQa rite" (pIq 'angmeH *No'Mat*Daq tlhojlu')

jISovbe'chu'.

> - meqba' = "legal proceeding"
> - qa'vaQ = "qa'vak" (Quj)

Specifically, a hoop and stick game. The hoop is rolled, and the stick is
thrown through as a spear.

> - SonchIy = "leader's death ritual"

maj.

> - ? = "tea ceremony" (DarghDaq tar lanlu')

Most likely called a <Dargh tay>.

> - ? = "braq'lul" (tlhInganpu' porgh)

This not a ritual at all, but a feature of Klingon biology. Most Klingon
organs and body parts are redundant. The word is <bIraqlul>.

Back to archive top level