tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 03 21:07:44 2000

KLBC: Hamlet's soliloquy

I'm reading Hamlet, and now I'm at Hamlet's
soliloquy, and I don't quite understand the
grammar of this passage:

/taH pagh taHbe'.  DaH mu'tlheghvam vIqelnIS.
quv'a', yabDaq San vaQ cha, pu' je SIQDI'?
pagh, Seng bIQ'a'Hey SuvmeH nuHmey SuqDI',
'ej, Suvmo', rInmoHDI'?/

In the above, what is the other part of the
/-DI'/ sentences (SIQDI', SuqDI', rInmoHDI')?
Is it /quv'a'/?

Also, what exactly does /-DI'/ mean?  Does it
mean "when" *only* in the sense of "as soon as",
or does it have a broadly meaning, something
more like "while"?  I am a little confused as
to the difference between /-DI'/ and /-taHvIS/
in certain contexts.

What would /quv'a' ... SIQDI'?/ mean?
What about /quv'a' ... SIQtaHvIS?/?

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
The official site of the Star Trek universe

Back to archive top level