tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 23 19:10:13 1999

RE: nuqneH

Welcome to the list. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian for the list. Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark
it for my attention with a KLBC in the subject line.

jatlh Williamson:

> nuqneH

> qab tlhIngan HolwIj
> (qabba')

qabbe' mu'tlheghvam. pupbe' 'ach qabbe'.

The only problem here is a common one for English speakers - you've said "My
Klingon is bad", referring to your ability to speak the language. This makes
perfect sense in English, but in Klingon, you have to say "My Klingon
language skill is bad" - <qab tlhIngan Hol laHwIj>.

> nuq Qaq qeq'a'
> (Do I need a question mark?)

"What is good practice?" is what you were going for, yes? Unfortunately,
this doesn't make much sense in Klingon. The Klingon way to say something
like this is very different: "Suggest a good way to practice!" - <qeqmeH mIw
QaQ yIchup!> We can get into how I came up with that in a later message.

To answer your question, you can start on the KLI's getting started page
(/kli/starting.html) to find out about available
resources. One of the best ways to practice is to participate in this
mailing list. Write a message with a few simple sentences and I will correct
them. It's usually a good idea to include the English so I have a good idea
of what you're trying to say. You should also try to read a few of the
shorter Klingon messages from the list.

> Maybe I should study my borrowed copy of the dictionary more...

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ