tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 22 18:45:36 1999

RE: is it klingon?

jatlh Mog Deathlover:

> nuquNEH!!!
> Recently someone tolled me some phrashes that sound like:
> hagh-doh choh booh eww chagh eww dagh eww dock booh wih
> chocke, eew wogh hogh bach dack och toh  moh

> I am genuinly at loss as to what, if annything, they meen.

> It is possible they are not even klingong, since the person
> in question is a huge sci-fi nut.

> anny thoughts from the more fluent speekers out there?

It looks to me like a bunch of Klingon words jumbled together with no
apparent structure. The words themselves may have been chosen deliberately
or may just be nonsense. Let me try:

Hagh DoH choH buH(?) 'Iw chagh 'Iw Dagh 'Iw Doq buH wIH choQ, 'Iw wagh Hogh
bach Daq 'ach toH moH

Here's what these words mean.

Hagh - laugh (v)
DoH - back away from (v) - could also be Do' - be fortunate (v) -or-
fortunately (adv)
choH - change (v or n)
buH - no clue. Could be boH - be impatient (v), butlh - dirt under
fingernails (n), or buQ - threaten
'Iw - blood (n)
chagh - drop (v)
Dagh - no clue. Could be Dogh - be silly or foolish (v)
Doq - be red (v)
wIH - be ruthless (v)
choQ - preserve (v)
wagh - be expensive (v)
Hogh - week (n)
bach - shoot (v) or shot (n)
Daq - site, location (n)
'ach - but (conj)  - could also be 'och - tunnel (n)
toH - well! (excl)
moH - be ugly (v) -or- exerte undue influence over (v, slang)

I'm not even going to try to extract a meaning from this.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ
aintain the marvelous ambiguity of both the early
> Chinese dialect & Sun Tzu.
>
> I know that I will be done, and a printing available before 2001.

'oH jIleghqang jIneS. paqlij chopol. pIQaD roman joq ghItlh bInab'a'?

> Here is where I ask you very politely to choose another subject to
> translate.
> After you have put the time into translating your own sentences first.
>
> Having made such a gaff, most will politely find other areas to focus
> upon.
> I have stood where you are now, understood and moved on.
> There is plenty of other material for you to choose from. ***>

Dr. Suess? LOL jImawchugh jIHechbe'. 'ach jIqetbe'

> I heartily recommend that you complete the KLI Postal Course. First.
> While he is still in transition, rest assured, that David Barron will
> gladly grade your progress via e-mail.
> If you do not get a direct response from him, I have an e-mail address
> that is he is currently available @.

KLI has the first 4 lessons as PDF. I have them, and am working through
them. I have also found some stuff in the back issues of this group, and
a lesson from an alternate source.

> > veSraQ Sun Qu'vo
> > The Art of War by Sun Tzu
>
> veS qa', qonboghpu' *Sun Tzu*.
> Spirit of War, by Sun Tzu.
> I choose to translate this from the long form: fan ti zi.
> The spirit of war, or the essence of struggle, from the modern zhan
> dow.

Futher research shows that my use of raQ is not right. It sounds cool,
however, is not grammatical.

> In tlhIngan Hol, names from other languages are not written with our
> transliteration.
> Names or words from another language are usually noted with * *
> brackets or "in parenthesis."
>
> There is so much more, but I do not want this to seem merely a
> complete body of criticism.

Oh please do, if you have time. How am I to learn? As you have had more
experence in this particular work, your comments would be valuable.

> Perhaps you could look toward assisting with these. I chose not to try
> with them, not because they weren't pertinent, or interesting, but
> because there were too many names & specific Historical references.
> I would be happy to cooperate in such an endeavor. You must become
> more proficient with basic tlhIngan Hol grammar first. If you were to
> do this, perhaps others as well (the commentaries comprise a greater
> body of work than the entire original text by Sun Tzu) this would lend
> an authentic feel of multiple authors & centuries of afterthought.

maj qech. jiQaH.

Ben

Back to archive top level